Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Imitation Poem Assignment

Up to the North,
To the tip of Borneo's left ear,
Waters crystal, as blue as the sky can be,
I walk on flat rocks,
Leading me up and to the end,
I stand,
Waves crashing at my feet,
The smell of the ocean water,
Wind blowing through my hair,
Mother earth whispering in my ear,
"This is your inheritance,
this is your today and this is your tomorrow",
I embrace this all,
With the steady beating of my heart.
This is mine.
Today.
Tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very beautiful poem. I think you capture a lot of what smith does in her poetry. I think she wants to have a visual with what is going on and have and emotional impact. When I read your poem, I felt like I was actually there. I had an emotional connection to this place that I never had experienced before. That is the same with Smith, I never experienced Katrina. After reading her poetry, I feel as if I did. Very nice job! Enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete