"The world, we are told, was made especially for man". This sentence stuck with me throughout the reading because it has always been a belief of man that we own this world. This lead to Muir's bigger idea in the essay, because from there on he leads the discussion of what men find useful and useless in nature. His writing although boring and too flowery before getting to his point, led to the debate of the role of of every living organisms in this world. That their existence although not directly observable (and sometime not at all), should be present because God put them into existence.
"His writing although boring and too flowery" could not agree any more! I did not like him as a writer at all. It seems that its listening to him whine and cry! I swear this piece was written in spite of his father! I do though think that you last statement about God putting them in existence cant get anymore TRUE! Nice post!
ReplyDeleteThanks Luke. I agree with you that his writing sounds a lot like a person whining.After the first page, it felt like it was a never ending piece.
ReplyDelete